Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A beginning...

I have always thought about the possibility of being a writer. I like writing, and while my spelling and grammar could often use work, I like to think that with a little practice I'd do okay at it. My grade 12 English teacher encouraged me to submit a short story I wrote to some magazines in the hopes I would get published. I submitted it to one place, got some feedback, but in the end was rejected. Comes with the territory, I guess, but the fact that my teacher even made the suggestion sparked my curiosity and my interest.

For several years, I have even had the idea in my head that I might like to write a novel. Lofty goal for someone who is not particularly self motivated, but at least I'm realistic in my expectations of it never getting published even if I were to write it. I've written and re-written the first couple chapters a few times, and a nearly full outline of all the chapters, but get stuck on the ending. I don't know what to do with it, and there goes all my motivation. After all, why bother spending the time writing the rest if the ending is never going to happen? Oh well, maybe one day I'll have that "Eureka" moment and everything will come together. In the mean time, I'm going to write for myself. Maybe I'll even start commenting on other blogs and eventually get a few readers of my own, but that's not really my goal right now. Right now I just want to write.

Lately I've felt like I'm at a bit of a crossroads in my life and feel like I need to get a few things out. That's not for today, but needless to say I have found journaling (yeah, I didn't think that was a real word, and spell check is telling me the same, but I'm just going to run with it) to be quite helpful in getting not only my thoughts sorted out, but also in giving me a direction with what I actually want to do.

This will be a bit of a diary on my life, but more than that it will comment on figuring out what is important to me. It will touch on family and on work and on hurdles to overcome. For now though, all I want is a beginning to this blog. I have a good life, where I am a mother to a wonderful little boy, who is closing in on three years old, I am wife to a loving husband, and I am a lawyer at a small firm, practicing mostly in family law. I am happy, but I still feel as though I am missing something and hopefully through my writing I will figure out just what that is.

No comments: